Roman Town House Tours
Roman Town House Tours
21 May 2022, 10:30am - 12:00noonFULLY BOOKED
- Meeting point: Dorset Museum Welcome Area
– Not suitable for under 5s.
– Ticket includes entry to the museum
Discovered in the 1930s, one of the best examples of a Roman Town House in England is situated here in Dorchester.
Following extensive refurbishment of the covered Roman Town House structure and grounds we are proud to have partnered with Dorset Council to offer the opportunity of a guided tour of the covered structure and grounds.
Our trained guides will take you through a brief history of the site and the precious artefacts recovered and now on display at the Dorset Museum. Following this, they will take you to the site of the Roman Town House and allow you to enter the covered building which hosts a number of really special features including some of the original wall paint and mosaics and a beautifully preserved example of an underfloor heating system.
Tours start at Dorset Museum where our trained guide will give a short presentation on the history of the site and recent excavation. Followed by a quick visit to the People’s Gallery to be shown some of the key artefacts recovered from the site. The tour will then move over to the Roman Town House site via Colliton House and West Walks which is of historical importance. The full guided tour will then commence of the internal and external Town House site before returning to the Museum.
The Victorian Hall will be hosting a private event on Friday 10th June 2022, all day and Saturday 11th June 2022, 12 noon to 5:00 pm, and therefore will be closed to visitors.
Daily: 9.00am - 4.30pm
Sunday: 10.00am - 4.00pm
Bank Holidays: 10.00am - 4.00pm
Dorset MuseumHigh West Street
Dorchester DT1 1XA
Tours start at the Museum
The Roman Town House is owned and managed by Dorset Council, and supported by the Dorchester Joint Heritage Committee and the Heritage Lottery Fund.More info
Useful tips for attending this tour
• Tours start and end at the museum.
• Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society members can get discounted tickets but MUST bring their membership card with them for the tour.
• A ticket to the Dorset Museum is NOT required to access this tour.
• Sturdy shoes are required as the internal structure is uneven.
• Tours are fully accessible.
• No toilets or facilities on site, although will be available at the museum before and after the tour.